Some answers to questions that we get asked regularly


Hopefully you'll find the answer to your question here but if we havent answered it please give us a call or drop us a line - details of how to do both are on our contacts page

Do I need the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (DCPC)?

Not everybody that drives a HGV/LGV/PSV/PCV needs DCPC there are some exemptions such as vehicles:


  • undergoing road tests for technical purposes e.g. MOT/repair

  • used in state of emergency or rescue missions

  • used by or under the control of the armed forces, civil defence or fire service

  • that have a maximum authorised speed of less than 45 mph

  • used for non commercial carriage of passengers or goods **

  • used exclusively for driver training

  • carrying material or equipment to be used in the course of their work


This is not the full list so if you are not sure please check the Gov website or give us a call and we'll let you know whther you are exempt or not


For a full list of inclusions and exemptions visit: 


** if you accept any kind of payment towards the cost of transporting goods or people it is considered a commercial transaction and you will need a driver CPC - even if someone just gives you a contribution towards your fuel.

I've done some days but not sure if I need any more?

You need 35 hours of driver CPC and this must be done in blocks of 7 hours over 5 days and delivered by a JAUPT approved centre. You can check how many hours of driver CPC you have done so far by clicking on the following link:


It will take you directly to the government webpage and you can access your information there. 

I drive a Horsebox - will I need Driver CPC?

A horsebox is a specialist



They come in various

configurations, weights and

dimensions and are used in an

array of circumstances.


Its these variations that mean

some drivers require different

licences or qualifications.  

Without them, there are fines

to pay of £1,000 or more.


As the driver of a specialist vehicle its your responsibility to comply with the law and operate safely.  But finding out which regulations and legislation applies to your individual cirumstances can be tricky.  We recommend that you take stock of your operation and establish a few facts.


1) Identify your vehicle


You should hold the correct licence category for the vehicle you are driving.  Look in the vehicles operator manual and establish its Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM), also called Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW).  


Visit .Gov - Licence Categories to see which licence category your vehicle falls into.  Many rigid bodied horseboxes typically fall into categories C1 or C.  For a car and horse trailer, its usually B+E.


Be aware, if you passed your car driving test after 1st January 1997, you will have only category B, not B+E (car and trailer).  


Visit .Gov - Comparing Driving Licences for information about comparing old and new driving licences


An excellent publication from DVSA (formally VOSA) can be found here -           A guide for horsebox and trailer owners


2) Be sure of the weight of your Horse or animal


A car and horse trailer could be fine for a small horse.  But larger animals can weigh in excess of a ton and easily overload the vehicle you may be using.

Using the operators manual for your vehicle, establish its permissible payload and consider whether your animals weight is appropriate.  DVSA fine heavily for overloaded vehicles.


3) Consider why you are transporting your Horse or animal


Transporting your horse for private reasons is usually fine.  A trip to a vet or other stable should be ok.  But transporting for reasons which make your journey a commercial venture mean you are then driving professionally.  Examples include entering your horse in a show where you could gain financially from a prize or reward, delivering a horse for payment or even transporting one for a friend if they offer you any type of payment including a contribution to fuel. 


If you are using a vehicle thats owned by a business, including one owned by a farm then you could need an Operators Licence.


Its circumstances such as these which mean you could require Driver CPC.


Driver CPC isn't just for truck or coach drivers.  Its a valuable qualification for all types of professionals who use their vehicles for commerical purposes.  


Your circumstances could be unique and there are too many to list here.  We would be happy to hear from you if you require advice.  Our aim is to promote professionalism amongst drivers and help them to stay safe and legal on the road.


Call us today, tell us about your circumstances and we will be happy to help.




What will happen if I don't have DCPC?

If you drive professionally without having your Driver Qualification Card (DQC) on your person, you could face an on-the-spot £50 fixed penalty.


If you drive without acheiving DCPC, or fail to produce your qualfication card when required, you could find yourself facing a maximum fine of £1,000.  That goes for the Operator's Licence holder too..


The Traffic Commissioner could even suspend your licence.


The bottom line is, if you have'nt got a DQC now, you cannot drive professionally.

I'm a newly qualified driver do I need to do DCPC as well?

This is an area where many newly qualified drivers often seek advice.


If you passed the category D1 or D practical test on or after the 10th September 2008  or the C1 or C practical test on or after the 10th September 2009 you will need to complete the 'Initial Qualification'.  If you passed the practical tests before the respective dates shown, you need only complete the periodic training requirements.


Passing an PCV or LGV test today is a little different than days of old and the complete test is broken up into four modules.


Module One - Theory Test (A multiple choice test and hazard perception test)


Module Two - Case Study (On screen mulitple choice test based on case studies)


Module Three - Practical Driving Test (A practical road drive and maneouvres with a DVSA Driving Examiner)


Module Four - Vehicle Safety Demonstration (A 30 minute practical 'show me / tell me' demonstration with a vehicle).


You can pass modules 1 and 3 and drive the vehicle category in a private capacity.  


Successful completion of modules 2 and 4 will grant you permission to drive the vehicle professionally and you will receive a Driver Qualification Card (DQC) to show this.  This is the Driver CPC initial qualification, which is valid for five years.


To keep your Driver Qualification Card and your right to drive professionally, you must complete 35 hours of relevant periodic training delivered by an approved Driver CPC training provider before the expiry date shown on the back of the card.  This will be five years from the date you passed your Module 4 test.  


You can complete the 35 hours periodic training at any time during the five year period as long is it is before the expiry date shown on the back of your DQC.


We have seen many drivers given incorrect and misleading advice about whats required of them to drive professionally.  If you are a new driver and do not pass modules 2 and 4 you cannot drive professionally and completing the 35 hour periodic training will not grant you a DQC.


If you are unsure then call us.  


We will ask you some questions about your licence, when you passed your driving tests and advise you accordingly.


Huntmill Transport Training offer approved Driver CPC training courses for BOTH LGV and PCV drivers.



Approved Centre No. 1587